Last week, I posted an article about how rehab can sometimes teach people to abstain when instead they should be told to begin to reduce their risk of harm when and if they use. They talked about this in reference to the recent death of Glee actor, Cory Monteith, who died of a mixed drug overdose. One aspect that the article didn’t get at was that people coming out of rehab are at a high risk of overdose because of their lower tolerance. This article from USA Today gets at exactly this issue. Read below for the article:
People such as Cory Monteith who have used heavy drugs can have an increased risk of a fatal overdose in the period after leaving rehab, doctors say.
The British Columbia coroner confirmed Tuesday that Monteith, from the TV show Glee, died of an overdose of heroin and alcohol.
The actor, 31, whose body was found at the Fairmount Pacific Rim hotel in Vancouver, had checked himself into drug rehab in April.
CORY MONTEITH: Coroner says heroin and alcohol caused actor’s death
Rehab can be lifesaving, and it helps many addicts get clean for good. But addicts can be vulnerable to overdose after going through a detox program, because their bodies are no longer able to tolerate high doses of drugs, says Neal Benowitz, a professor of medicine at the University of California-San Francisco. He has no personal knowledge of Monteith’s case.